Thursday, January 22, 2009

gracias corte ingles....

yesterday jamie and i hiked all around the city in search of one thing: mexican food. and we found it at the corte ingles (basically like a department store but with a grande supermercado with imported foods underneath) and low and behold they have a "tex mex" section! oh you cannot believe my ecstasy. apparently old el paso makes a "burrito kit" and a "fajita kit" complete with tortillas, appropriate spices, and salsa. also, in the produce section i found a guacamole kit: two avocados, a tomato, a lime, and onion all wrapped up and packaged together, funny. i bought corn tortillas and this weekend i am going to make my own refried beans and my own enchilada sauce and then create glorious spanmexican food. jamie bought a box of ready-to-serve mole (which isnt that bad, altho unfortunately she doesn't eat meat so uses the sauce for beans and stuff), we also got an interesting roasted salsa. obviously nothing uber-authentic, but can't criticize those glorious spaniards for trying-LOVE IT!
ironically i assumed that i would be doing fabulous spanish cooking and here i am and the things i really crave are: refried beans, jeanne's pesto, and popcorn. plus i get to eat glorious spanish food everyday when i go for tapas. plus i need spicy things in my life and spaniards cant hang with the super spicy cuisine. altho they sure do know how to fry up potatoes and delish veggies. perhaps this weekend or early next week i will try my hand at some pisto (tons of veggies sauteen in olive oil with garlic and onion) but for now i am focusing on my mexican projects. and yes, i have eaten quesadillas everyday for the past three days, but is in part due to jamie's influence (girl loves mexican food as much if not more than i do!). hopefully one of these days when the weather gets warmer i can test some gazpacho recipes and all those delicious garlic soups they have in their parts (of course they are for the warmer months, and nobody saw this horrible winter coming).
tomorrow i am hosting a mini cena (dinner) at my apartment, and will be busting out the aufmuth pesto (obviously) a la waverley (shallots and mushrooms sauteed with goat cheese, and fresh tomoatos all tossed into the pesto...my special twist on an old fav). my mouth is already watering. yum. now that my fridge is stocked with all my favorite snacks and my pantry with all the necessary spices i can cook away to my little heart's content.

No comments: