Sunday, February 1, 2009

La mejor dia de la samana? SABADO!

First of all, I love how every Saturday morning, no matter if its sun or snow, everybody goes to market. Because this is the last day until Monday to purchase fresh meat, fish, and produce, all the shops are open. My favorite Saturday morning activity is to go down to Plaza Larga and have a cafĂ© cortado y un tostada con montequilla y mermalada. After greeting all the homies in the cafeteria, we proceed to check out the wears at the farmers market, then on to the pescaderia, panaderia, carniceria and of course, the always-dependable coviran. This particular Saturday I purchased some very nice avocados to compliment my huevos rancheros. Of course, the other important part of this stroll is that everybody in town is out doing errands so you run into everyone you know in the streets, like your Spanish teacher, Rosa. This goes on until about two when everybody returns home for lunch, not to be seen again until the evening. Delicious huevos ranchers, by the way, instead of just putting them on top of tortillas I made a quesadilla for under my huevos complete with my enchilada/ranchero sauce from last weekend…yum. I also stocked up on fresh veggies for my cooking project of the weekend: chicken vegetable curry! Gerald, the german gave me a gift of curry as a goodbye, and thus I am using it to create more culinary wonders…I await the results...

No comments: