Saturday, June 12, 2010

Vaya Mundo!

In honor of the World Cup opener (and the fact that I ate exlusively Mexican food yesterday and most of today), it seemed appropriate for the ranchero to feature my fav Mexican spots, past and present (despite the 1-1 draw, at least Mexico got one point).  I'm pretty sure I was of Hispanic decent in a past life.  I've worked years to perfect my own enchiladas, posole, guacamole, etc. but sometimes you just need it to be cooked by someone else.  Here are my top 8:

La Costena, Mountain View, CA:  People, especially Californians, get all uppity when you talk about your burrito spot of choice.  Even on the corner of Rengstorff and Old Middlefield are the oft disputed Los Altos Taqueria and La Costena.  My money is on La Costena--started as a grocery with a little burrito bar in back, now winning awards right and left.  The only thing better than getting a delicious pollo adobado burrito is finding all your Mexican grocery needs as well in a one-stop shop!

Pancho Villa, San Francisco, CA: Yeah, yeah, the Mission is chalk full of delicious and Pancho definitely has the monopoly on your standard fare (much less "authentic" than El Farolito, a copycat of the purported originator of the Mission burrito Taqueria La Cumbre--take your digs where you will), I have to admit for a quick-n-easy burrito fix, I'm a Pancho girl.  (I used to be an El Toro Taqueria loyalist, but since the renovation it's just not the same--even tho it's owned by Pancho's peeps).  Super pollo asado burrito with spicy salsa and extra pico...done and done.

Dos Pinas, San Francisco, CA: Ok, not the Mission, Potrero actually, but across the street from where I went to culinary school.  Chicken chile verde street tacos (3/$5) with a side of rice and beans and I am a smitten kitten.  The al pastor is pretty ridiculous as well.  The walls of hot sauces are great too, just make sure it hasn't expired (I'm pretty sure some of those bottles have been there for a while).

Mi Nidito, Tuscon, AZ: One word, birria.  Spicy, saucy, delicioso, this is Sonoran food done to perfection.  A nice change from your California Mexican, Sonoran is a little smokier, more sultry...chiles with soul.  Eat anything with carne seca or birria and there's really no losing.

El Burrito Loco, St. Louis, MO: My college favorite! I used to beg my friends to make the 25 minute drive out to South Grand with me (especially once Mi Ranchito opened off Delmar).  If only for the chipotle chicken quesadilla.  Really, leave the burritos aside, chipotle chicken is where it's at! The owners hail from Chihuaha and import their cheese--well worth the carbon footprint.

Dos Toros Taqueria, Union Square, New York, NY: Started by a couple of Bay Area brothers (natch), by far the closest I've come to satisfying my burrito cravings in NYC.  Although with all the hype surrounding them these days, it's so popular the line is usually out the door...and nevermind chatting up the cute SF guys who work there.  Props for happily raised chicken and fresh ingredients--love the habanero hot sauce.

Cascabel Taqueria, UES, New York, NY: Carnitas carnitas carnitas. Yum.  Excellent crispy delicious carnitas tacos with those lovely Mexican onions that turn pink when you grill them just so.  The camarones are also divine--going back to try the tortas (I love me a good Mexican sandwich every now and then).

Taqueria Los Angeles, Puebla, Mexico: 1/2 kilo of al pastor with all the fixins for $4.  No words.  My heaven (see picture).

Honestly, I could go on for days.  Tacos for lunch, Sopa Azteca for dinner followed by a guacamole breakfast!  And I don't discriminate--I'm wide open to new deliciousness.  Now I have to start working on my menu for Wednesday when Spain takes on Switzerland. Go World!

No comments: